5 Questions With Lisa Hogan

1. Who are you?Lisa Hogan

Hello!  My name is Lisa Hogan, and I am the Director of Nursing Education at Post University.  I am a native New Englander,  grew up in Massachusetts and New Hampshire and currently resides on the NH seacoast.  I split my time between New Hampshire and Connecticut. I began my nursing career as a Licensed Practical Nurse and worked my way to becoming an advance practice registered nurse.  I practiced as a registered nurse for 30 years and a nurse anesthetist for the past 18 years.  I hold a Masters of Science in Nurse Anesthesia from the University of New England, and both a Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP) and Ph.D. in Instructional Management and Leadership from Robert Morris University.

2. What are some personal and professional achievements?

My biggest personal achievement has been to raise a caring and successful daughter who I am very proud of.  I have been married for 27 years to a wonderful husband. Most of my education was achieved after I was married and he has supported me through all of my educational pursuits.

I was inducted into my high school Athletic Hall of Fame for Track and Field. I continue to hold several high school track and field records after 33 years!

From a professional perspective, I believe the accomplishments that I am most proud of are my 14 years of service in the Army Nurse Reserve and my accomplishments as high school track and cross country coach.  Both of these experiences were personally and professionally enriching.

Lastly, I was recognized in 2011 for my work in promoting noise reduction strategies in the operating room as the recipient of the National Nursing Patient Safety Award in Teaching and Learning, awarded by Georgetown University.

3. Why did you get into education?

Education is part of what we do as nurses. Caring for patients includes educating them about their health and treatments.  I began teaching new nurses in the clinical setting fairly early in my nursing career as a preceptor.  As a nurse anesthetist, I served as a clinical instructor for Northeastern University educating nurse anesthesia students.  This led to guest lecturing opportunities and eventually a full-time position in the School of Nurse Anesthesia at the University of New England. I have held several faculty positions since that time.  These experiences and my passion for educating nurses led me to complete my Ph.D. in Education / Instructional Management and Leadership.

4. What type of students will succeed in your program?

I have been a student almost my entire life and I always tried to view going to school as a hobby.  Taking this approach helped me relax and enjoy my studies. I believe as a student you need to make a personal connection with your studies.  Students who make learning personal and connect learning with their interests or past experience feel empowered by what they learn.  Students who set goals, stay motivated, and do not procrastinate will be successful.

5. When do you begin noticing that your students have that ‘aha’ moment?

I have seen the “aha” moment in myself and in my students.  These moments occur when students take information that is already understood and connect it to new information.  “Aha” moments can occur with individual students, but also collectively with an entire class. In the classroom sometimes insight is shared, and there is a collective “So that’s how it works” realization.  When one of these moments happens among a group of learners, it’s powerful. It leaves its mark and permanently changes the student’s perspective.

Bonus question:

6. Where do you see the industry you teach going in the next 5 years?

The future of nursing is bright and the profession is growing.  Registered nurses will make up one of the fasted growing population of workers in all occupations over the next ten years.  This is largely due to an aging population requiring specialized health care. Technological advancements, a greater emphasis on preventative care, and several other variables will contribute to the need for more nurses and health care professionals.

The education necessary to become a registered nurse can be completed in two to four years, but there is a trend towards increasing the number of nurses with bachelor’s degrees.  An RN with a bachelor’s degree in nursing is at an advantage when administrative positions open up in a hospital or clinical setting.  Nursing will continue to be an excellent career choice for those who wish to make a good income, have a flexible schedule, and continue their education.

Lisa Hogan is the Director of Nursing Education at Post University. Hogan earned her M.S. in Nurse Anesthesia from the University of New England, and both a Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP) and Ph.D. in Instructional Management and Leadership from Robert Morris University