5 Questions With Carolyn Shiffman

1. Who are you?Carolyn Shiffman

Hello, I’m Dr. Carolyn Shiffman. I grew up in Dallas, Texas, lived in Denver for 15 years, the Boston area for 3, and have lived in Connecticut for over 20 years.  I hold a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, a Masters of Nursing Administration, and a Ph.D. in Organization and Management.

1. What are some personal and professional achievements?

Personal achievements surround my family. I have been married for 36 years and have two successful adult children and one granddaughter.

Professionally, I have been fortunate to have had many successes. Early in my nursing career I studied and earned the Critical Care Nursing (CCRN) credentials, which allowed me to work as a critical care nurse specialist. I have had two successful solo practices: an educational consultant for healthcare, and in 2007, I obtained coaching certification and started my second business working with individuals who wanted to excel in their current personal and professional lives.

Lastly, I have been recognized for my volunteer work in our community. I served on the executive committee, as secretary, and started the women’s networking group.  I was honored as the director of the year in 2010 and received an official citation from the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut. I continue to serve my community in a variety of ways.

1. Why did you get into education?

Throughout my professional career, there has been a thread of education. As a nurse, I worked in the hospital education department where I was responsible for educating staff in nursing content, new procedures, and technique used in critical care areas. My career led me to a VP position in higher education administration where I oversaw six contracts with small independent colleges. In 2009, after completing my Ph.D., I began teaching formally in higher education.

1. What type of students will succeed in your program?

There is no one recipe for success in the MBA Leadership Concentration program, but the majority of students have an end goal they are trying to accomplish. Students with dedication, discipline, creativity, and drive will succeed in the program. It takes work.

1. When do you begin noticing that your students have that ‘aha’ moment?

This is a tough question! Aha moments come at different times for students and faculty alike. Yes, teachers have Aha moments, too!  I teach because I believe education can make a difference. An educated workforce will spur advancements and innovations capable of meeting the ever-changing landscape of organizations.

Bonus question:

1. Where do you see the industry you teach going in the next 5 years?

Education is constantly changing to meet the needs of students and industry. New technology is taking us into uncharted waters. Trends such as digital technology, wearable technology, cybersecurity, robotics and big data management will require educational institutions to incorporate more digital platforms and applications.  The traditional classroom is no longer traditional. The traditional student is no longer traditional. Education will no longer be traditional.

Carolyn Shiffman is the Academic Program Manager for the Leadership Concentration within Post University’s MBA program. Shiffman has served in executive management positions for over 20 years, working with for-profit and nonprofit institutions. Throughout her career, she has focused on helping others achieve success with their professional and personal goals. Shiffman earned her Ph.D. in Organization and Management from Capella University.