Back to School Orientation 2016 Recap

https://www.facebook.com/PostUniversity/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10154427723398476

click on an image to view our gallery

The Post University Family welcomed new first-time and transfer students to campus during its annual Orientation Weekend activities held on August 27 and 28.  With a two-day agenda packed full of events, both resident and commuter students began their time at Post getting acquainted with their new surroundings and meeting their peers and Post faculty and staff.

Saturday morning was the start of the residence hall move-in process for those living in one of our six residence halls.  All students were greeted and checked-in by staff, and led through the final stages of registration including clearance by the offices of Health Services, Admissions, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts.  After a great lunch served by Chartwells Dining Services, parents and family watched as the new students processed into the Orientation Tent, led by the joyous sounds of a bagpipe player, as our Convocation began.

President Don Mroz, Ph.D., Provost Elizabeth Johnson, Ph.D., Dean of Students Erica Peryga, and Student Government President Jessica Ayella all addressed the Convocation audience, and Director of Student Activities and Diversity Programs Scott Towers re-introduced the Post alma mater to the campus community with his glorious singing voice.  The alma mater has not been sung in public for more than a decade and is being revived this year.  The event ended with President Mroz leading the new students in the recitation of the Post University New Student Pledge:

As I join the Post University family,
I understand my obligation
to uphold the institution’s standards
regarding mutual respect, honesty, and cultural diversity.  

I pledge to take responsibility
for my beliefs and actions,
and to work for my betterment
and the betterment of others.

I commit myself to my higher education goals,
and promise to advance Post’s unique and caring culture.  
Today I pledge to honor the traditions of Post University.  

After convocation, students said goodbye to their parents, and their solo college careers began.

The remainder of Orientation activities included presentations on student financial literacy, drug and alcohol abuse prevention, and domestic violence awareness and prevention.  Students were also introduced to the Blackboard Learning Management system used by the University and received safety and civility training.  There was plenty of fun, with Leadership and Team Building exercises, an evening of outdoor roller skating, and a Welcome Back Barbecue for new and returning students.

It’s official….we are “back to school” at Post University!  Here’s to a great semester for all.