Former Post standout athlete signs professional basketball contract

Former Post men’s basketball standout and 2014 graduate Zack Krischer has had one ultimate goal throughout his life – to play professional basketball.

Last week, that goal was realized, as Krischer signed a contract to play professionally with Maccabi Hod Hasharon, of Israel’s Liga Leumit.

Photo of Zack Krischer

Zack Krischer signs professional basketball contract

“It means the world to me to be able to play professional basketball,” said Krischer. “Ever since I could pick up a basketball this is all I ever wanted to do, now I have the chance to make a living doing it. It’s the greatest job in the world for me.”

After participating in several basketball combines around the U.S. and networking with basketball scouts and agents over the past year, Krischer got the call he was waiting for last month. Interest was expressed from multiple teams in Israel and an agent organized several tryouts with Israeli teams. Only one tryout was needed though, as Krischer impressed the leadership group with Maccabi Hod Hasharon in his initial audition, and was offered a contract days later.

“I had always planned on playing professional basketball overseas,” he said. “I tried out a few options first that didn’t fully pan out, then this opportunity in Israel came my way, and it couldn’t have been a better situation.”

During his time at Post, Krischer led the Eagles in scoring and was second in the nation in three-point field goals per game. A crucial aspect Krischer said he was able to learn and come to understand at Post was the mental aspect of the game.

“I learned how to handle both the ups and the downs of a long season, as you are sure to have many of both,” he said. “Post has helped me grow to the player and the person that I am today, and I’m very grateful for my experience there.”

Official team practices will not begin until September, but Krischer has been living in Petah Tikva, Israel putting in long hours in the weight room and gym, preparing for his first season as a professional.

“My goals for this season are just to work hard and have the best season I possibly can,” he said. “Moving forward I just hope to have a long, successful and healthy professional basketball career, play the best I can and at the highest level that I can and enjoy every minute of the ride.”