The value of an on-campus internship

Editor’s Note: Marx Cadet, Junior Criminal Justice major, contributed to this blog.

Internships are short-term work experiences in a student’s major that allow them to observe and participate in professional work environments and explore how their interests relate to possible careers. Students will choose an internship based on their major field of study. Internships can offer students an opportunity to increase their skills and work with other colleagues in the same industry.

Photo of two young people working together on a laptop

Internships are a great way to get work
experience in your field of study.

Reasons for on-campus internships: Some resident students do not have transportation or have very full academic schedules with no time to travel off campus. Other students have part-time jobs off campus or participate in athletic teams. These situations are challenging to students and can prohibit them from traveling off campus for a for-credit internship in their major. The on-campus internship program is aimed at being able to provide valuable for-credit internships to help enable all students to be able to have the opportunity to complete an internship before graduating, whether their major requires an internship or not.

I sat down with Marc Cadet, a junior in the Criminal Justice degree program and discussed his on-campus internship.

Rigali:   What is your academic major and why did you decide to do an on-campus internship?

Cadet:   My academic major is Criminal Justice. I decided to do an on-campus internship because I thought that it would be very convenient for me by saving on transportation and managing my time more freely. Another reason for doing an on-campus internship was to possibly inspire other students to consider doing on-campus internships as well.

Rigali:  What are you doing in your on-campus internship that relates to your coursework?

Cadet:  My on-campus internship supervisor is a retired police officer working for the Security department on the Main Campus of Post University. During my on-campus internship, I do a lot of work pertaining to criminal justice. My supervisor and I discuss the major cases that have impacted the criminal justice system; most importantly, we talk about current events and how they may affect the criminal justice system in the future.

Rigali:  What have you learned that you feel is important to your career and future job when you graduate?

Cadet:  One thing that I’ve learned that I feel is important to my career, and my future job when I graduate, is that it is my duty to serve and protect the community.  Therefore, I have to keep a positive attitude and do my job professionally. The second thing I have learned is that police work can be a dangerous job, and one has to be able to adapt quickly to the different situations and problems they will encounter in their career. The main goal in mind should be: make it home to my family at the end of the day.

Rigali:  What advice would you give other college students regarding an on-campus internship?

Cadet:  The advice I would give other college students regarding an on-campus internship is that it allows you to maintain the comfort of living on-campus, or in off-campus housing, to have a support system of friends and professors easily accessible, and time to still pursue other activities on campus. Either way, internships provide many benefits to both the employer and the student.