Practicing what you preach: Post students pay it forward with recent service project

It’s one thing to encourage action, it’s another to act. Post students did both recently, in a “pay it forward” community service project in coordination with a local elementary school.

Post students reading to children at their community service project

Post students read to children at Frisbie Elementary School in Wolcott, CT.

Students from Post’s Management program visited Frisbie Elementary School in Wolcott, CT, recently to work with and read to young students. During their visit, they read Ordinary Mary’s Extraordinary Deed—a children’s book that inspires and encourages good deeds and community service.

The students didn’t just relay this message though; they took it to heart. The students in this Management class made gifts, including scarfs, puzzles and winter-themed tote bags, for patients at the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.

“The community service project was a great experience for the children and for me as a maturing student,” said Post student Savon Parker. “It really helped me appreciate who I am paving the way for.  The day was filled with helping hands, and the trip really motived me to give back to the children not only in my community, but on a larger scale.”

The community service project was part of a “Community and the Corporation” class led by Melissa Santos, Academic Program Manager for Post’s Management program. Santos felt the benefits of the project and the experiential learning helped everyone involved.

“It’s extremely important and, I believe, a win-win,” said Santos. “Students build their skills and resumes. It also provides them an opportunity for networking.  The community benefits from the service learning experience.  In this case, both the fifth graders benefited from the interactions with our students and, hopefully, the handmade gifts brought a smile to the children at the hospital.”

The project touched the lives of both groups of students—Post’s Management class, and the fifth grade class at Frisbie Elementary.

“It was a great experience and I left that school as a happier and better person because I know the world will be in good hands when these kids are the ones who impact it,” said Post student Julio Velazquez.

Just as important, it provided gifts and smiles for hospitalized children.

“I think it’s a great idea that we are giving those crafts as a present to those kids who are unfortunately stuck in the hospital,” said Post student Jairo Borja. “If I were able to do this community service project again, I wouldn’t think twice about doing it.”