Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Aubrey Latham goes into the Post University history book

Aubrey Latham poses with Schuler and Garafalo after breaking the record
When Aubrey Latham tore her anterior cruciate ligament after her freshman basketball season she wasn’t sure if her dreams of continuing to play college basketball were over.

Not only did Aubrey persevere, she made Post University women’s basketball history Tuesday night by becoming its all-time leading scorer — surpassing Tracey Garafalo’s career record of 1,510 points.

When Aubrey scored her 14th point Tuesday, the game was stopped, and the capacity crowd at the Drubner Center erupted in a thunderous standing ovation. The feeling inside the gymnasium was electric.

Aubrey said it’s sometimes hard for her to comprehend how far she’s come since her devastating injury.

“After I tore my ACL, I did not think I was going to accomplish half the things I have in my career. I had to work ten times harder to get back to where I used to be and I believe it actually made me a better player,” Aubrey said.

Now that she owns the scoring record, Aubrey can finally relax and admit it “means a lot” to her.

“I am so relieved because I am just so excited to get it over with. I have been looking forward to this since summer time and it is one of my biggest life goals that I couldn’t wait to accomplish,” Aubrey said. 

Aubrey said she is honored to break Tracey’s record.

“Tracey Garafalo was my first basketball coach and she brought me into this school. I have looked up to her not only as a coach but as a person who has helped me and taught me a lot,” Aubrey said.

While the award is an individual recognition of her talents, Aubrey said she shares the award with her teammates, coaches and fellow students.

Her coaches pushed her to be the best player she could be, Aubrey said, while students have been telling her how happy they are for her and attending her games.

“Having students tell me things like that just shows me how close of a community this school really is and shows me the support the athletics have in this school,” Aubrey said.
Aubrey's teammates hug her after she breaks the record.

Aubrey’s current coach, Stephen Schuler, said it’s always fun on game day to know “we have Latham and our opponent doesn’t.”

“Aubrey is a tremendous player, but more importantly a great person and teammate. I am so happy for her and her family,” Stephen said. “In my two years here at Post University, I have seen a kid develop into what Post University Women’s Basketball is all about…team, hard work, and pride.”

Interim Athletic Director Michael Mannetti said everyone in the Athletics Department is proud of Aubrey's accomplishments.

“She has signified exactly what we look for as a collegiate student-athlete with her hard working demeanor both on and off the court,” Michael said. “To break the all-time scoring record at Post is a testament to her work ethic on the court. It is that same work ethic that will ensure her success in all future endeavors she takes on."

Post University President Don Mroz said on behalf of the Executive Management Team, faculty, staff, and students, everyone is excited and proud about Aubrey’s record breaking accomplishment.

He said Aubrey’s hard work and determination is inspiring.

“Anytime one of our student athletes breaks a record it is to be commended, but Aubrey has worked very hard, and has accomplished much to make this happen. We are all very proud of her.  It is a testament to her coach, her team, and everyone at Post that she has broken this record, but mostly a testament to her willpower, stamina, and athletic ability,” Don said.

Aubrey said she’s thoroughly enjoyed her time at Post and has made countless friends and had wonderful professors.

“This school has made me feel very welcomed and has helped me really grow as a person. I have had a lot of great times and met a lot of great people that I will be close with forever,” Aubrey said.