Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Widening skills gap is risking the American worker's global leadership position

Watch your step -- there's a widening gap between the skills demanded by today's employers and our educational system. That's what Mitch Rosin recently wrote about in the Huffington Post. He's the Director, Adult Learning and Workforce Initiatives at McGraw-Hill School Education Group.

"Currently, the U.S. is the only highly developed democracy where young adults are less educated than the previous generation, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) indicates that more than 18 million adults without a high school credential are in the labor force today. In short, worker supply is grossly deficient to employer demand," Mitch writes.

He goes on to give a detailed proposal on how to bridge America's skills gap, including the roles that academia, government, taxpayers, and investors should play. As I was reading it, I found myself nodding in agreement to many of his points and propositions.

I think his article is worth a look for any employer or academic professional. I also highlighted some good points he made about soft and hard skills in the comment I left for him.

Give it a read, and let me know what you think. What are your thoughts on improving the skills of America's workforce? How serious of an issue is it?

Thanks for the article, Mitch.