Monday, July 25, 2011

14 ways to keep children reading this summer

Summer can be one of the best learning times for children. The season gives you the opportunity to nurture children's reading skills in fun, easy, and engaging ways.

But it can also be one of the most unproductive learning times. Students can lose up to three months of reading achievement if reading activities are ignored during the summer.

To keep children reading throughout the summer, talk to your child about what he or she really likes to do, learn, and read. Then plan the summer based on your child’s particular interests.

Need some ideas? The editors of Today's Parent recently asked me to contribute an article with 10 ways to keep your children reading this summer. Flip over to see some fun, creative activities you can cook up!

Also, have a look at the tips that Pauloa Sirois gathered in her recent article for NWI Parent. She included one of mine, plus four more from other educators around the country, which I enjoyed reading.

Try them out and see what your child likes. I hope they are helpful! Let me know how you're doing with your child's summer reading activities by commenting on our blog.