Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Online Master of Education graduate puts new Post University degree to the test

Joey Vaughn with son Joseph
As dean of Post University's School of Education, May 7 was as exciting a day for me as it was for 400 of Post University's 2011 graduates who walked on stage, got their diplomas, switched their tassels, and formally graduated.

My excitement especially focused on the first 12 graduates of Post University's new Master of Education (M.Ed.) online program. I'm proud of all the hard work and dedication they've put into earning an online degree from Post University. Each of our graduates has made a valuable contribution to his/her education context through the wonderful variety of worthy capstone projects.

From new professional development programs, to conversion of an on-ground orientation program, to an online program for Save the Children, to a summer college transition program for students with autism, our students have left a mark on changing the future of education.

Graduation time is perfect for reflection, when we can look back on the year and reflect on our students' achievements. Many students have shared their Graduate Stories on our website. Their incredible journeys are inspiring as many have worked so hard to achieve their goals.

Other Post University students have shared their stories on our blog, like Felicia Scott and Christine DeJesus. Today, I wanted to bring you the story of Joey Vaughn, the first graduate of our online Master of Education program.

Joey wasn't able to travel to Connecticut to participate in graduation because his son was graduating from college on the same day back in Alabama.

Our blogging team recently interviewed Joey about his Post University experience. I think you'll be as interested in the interview as I was.

Joey, 50, lives in Scottsboro, Ala. with his wife and two children. He's the Jackson County School's Supervisor of Testing and Child Nutrition Programs. He never took an online class before coming to Post University. But now, after earning his master's of education degree online, he says, "I wish I did it years ago."

Tune into our podcast to hear Joey's story first-hand, complete and unedited. You'll learn why he wanted to earn his M.Ed. degree, why he chose Post University to do it, how his degree has changed his life, and his advice to incoming students on how to succeed in the program.

I am humbled by Joey's appreciation of Post University's program and the close online relationship we developed through the courses he took. I wish Joey and all of our graduates a wonderful future ahead as he (and they!) shape the future of education!