Monday, May 30, 2011

Heroes I will be remembering and honoring this Memorial Day 2011

Memorial Day is a time that Americans across our great nation enjoy family, BBQs, going to the beach to swim and play in the sand, or to simply relax. But Memorial Day is more than just family picnics, parades, and going to the beach.

It is a time to remember and honor those who made the commitment and pledged an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic ... So help me God." Many who have taken this oath, gave the "last full measure of devotion" in the service to their country to keep this their promise to us.

On this Memorial Day, we have an obligation to honor those and their families who made this commitment to us and to keep their memories bright. As someone who served in the United States Army and Army National Guard for 25 years, I too will take pause to remember and honor their memories.

I will honor my father who was a 100 percent disabled World War II veteran, who, as a Canadian, volunteered to fight as an American soldier and gain his citizenship. I will thank my brother, a Vietnam veteran, who volunteered to enlist in the Navy and serve his country when it was unpopular to do so. I will be grateful that my twin boys, who both volunteered and served in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and are back on American soil safe and sound.

Finally, I will bow my head and pray for a member of the Post University family who volunteered to deploy as a Marine, and was recently wounded by an IED in Afghanistan. There are literally millions of reasons to honor this day of remembrance. Each of them has a name and a family, with a story worth knowing.

So as you head to the beach to play in the sand this Memorial Day, take pause to remember those who went to far-off beaches, deserts, and jungles to keep us safe and did so freely; whose devotion to you and me and our way of life was so great that they laid down their lives so we could be free.